Forever first for women’s education – striving for excellence, grounded in faith, and engaged with the world.
Founded in 1836 as the first college in the world for women, Wesleyan College offers an education that leads to lifelong intellectual, personal, and professional growth. The Wesleyan experience has four cornerstones:
- Academics-Wesleyan is committed to academic excellence in the liberal arts, the fine arts, and professional fields of study. We foster a diverse and inclusive academic community where we learn from each other. Wesleyan teaches students how to learn and adapt quickly, preparing them for the world of work and giving them skills to thrive in a complex, rapidly changing world.
- Women-Wesleyan takes seriously our role as a pioneer in women’s education. We believe the world needs more women who lead and serve. A Wesleyan education asks women to dream big and helps them realize those dreams.
- Faith-Wesleyan is proud our long relationship with the United Methodist Church and the diverse faiths that make up our community today. We believe a firm grasp of enduring spiritual values is basic to the Wesleyan way of learning and living. We help each student explore her calling as she asks and answers deep questions about herself and her engagement with the world.
- Community-Wesleyan values each member of our community as an individual and in relationship to the whole. Our diversity is among our greatest strengths. We care for each other as an inclusive community. We serve the larger community around us. We send students out into the world prepared to succeed.
We believe that real education is a lifelong endeavor, fueled by curiosity, challenge, and discovery. Providing a solid foundation for a lifetime of learning and growth, the Wesleyan experience is based upon these shared values that guide us daily:
- Academic excellence and critical thinking, personal honesty, civility, and integrity
- Pride in teaching, learning, and working together
- Appreciation for our traditions, and the hope we offer a divided world
- Spirituality in the search for purpose and understanding
- Responsible citizenship and ethical leadership in service to others
- Celebration of our differences and the opportunities they present as a powerful force for understanding, innovation, and social justice
- Meaningful work that begins at Wesleyan and builds to a fulfilling career
- Belief in the arts as integral to a fully realized life
- Physical, social, and emotional wellness
- Laughter, humor, and joyful enthusiasm for life